What is a John Deere 318 worth?
John Deere is not just any brand of tractor. It is regarded as the strongest brand of the tractor in the market, although expensive. In this article, the question, “what is a John Deere 318 worth” will be fully addressed.
I hope you find this article very interesting and informative.
Brief History of John Deere
John Deere is the brand name of Deere & Company, an American corporation that deals with the manufacturing of agricultural, lawn care machinery, forest machinery, diesel engines and construction machines and drivetrains used in heavy equipment like transmissions, gearboxes and axles.
John Deere is a very strong and efficient brand of tractor that comes in various sizes. It has many tractors to its name ranging from very heavy-duty tractors to compact tractors, to lawn tractors.
One of the most respected of its production is the John Deere 318 Tractor.
Important Features of John Deere 318 tractors
The John Deere 318 lawn and garden tractor is one of the best John Deere lawn tractors ever built. It is regarded as the most reliable lawn tractor of this time.
Longevity: It can work for more than 30 years straight if properly managed. People buy a new model 318 tractor and resell it after 15 to 25 years, and it still brings them money.
Comfortability: Unlike other John Deere 300 series. This particular brand places high emphasis on operator comfort and ease of use.
This made it more flexible and comfortable to use than the 300 series. Anyone that has tried both this 318 model and 300 models can testify to the fact.
Economic Value: Unlike other lawn tractors, this 318 lawn tractor is known to be very economical. It has a great resell value after a long time of use.
This means that you can resell it after using it for 15 to 20 years and still make good money for its purchase. However, this is when you take good care of the tractor very well.
Hydraulic power steering: It is the first common lawn tractor to possess one, and trust me; this boosted its efficiency degree.
Other features are:
- Twin-cylinder and quality air-cooled engines containing cast iron cylinder liners
- The modernized rear frame and fender deck
- 15-30 minutes of additional run time (helps stabilizes reserve fuel tank)
- Tecumseh transaxle with standard hydraulic oil cooler
What is the worth of the John Deere 318 tractor?
You can get a John Deere 318 tractor for around $10,000, depending on the model and whether it is two cylinders or just a single one.
John Deere 318 Tractor Specs
Weight and Dimensions
- Weight – 7000 lbs
- The overall length of the bucket was 132
- Ground clearance – 8.5
- The rear angle of departure – 26A
- Width over tires – 63
- Height to top of ROPS – 78
- Wheelbase – 44.3
- Engine Make – Yanmar
- Gross power – 63 HP
- Engine model – 4 TNV98C
- Net power – 60 HP
- Standard pump flow – 18 GPM
- Optional pump flow – 25 GPM
- Hydraulic pressure – 3250 psi
- Rated operating load – 1950 lbs
- Dump height at bucket discharge – 95.7 (in)
- Load with optional counterweight – 2100 lbs
- Height of bucket pin – 120.2 (in)
- Standard Tipping load – 3900 lbs
- Max height of Dump reach – 30.7 (in)
- Arm lifting force – 3500 lbs
- Full height Max dump angle – 43A (deg)
- Bucket rollback at ground level – 33 A (deg)
- Bucket breakout – 6000 lbs
Top Speed and Tire
- Max travel speed – 6.9 mph
- Tire size – 10 x 16.5
- Fuel tank – 20 gals
What to look out for when buying a John Deere 318 tractor
Currently, John Deere 318 tractors are still one of the most sought after tractors. You can find them for sale, mostly un-restored, from online sources like eBay or Craigslist and even Facebook.
It is advised that you possess some basic mechanical and maintenance skills before getting a 318 so that you can maintain it.
Things to look for when getting a 318 John Deere tractor:
- Assess the overall condition of the tractor for obvious issues, like rust or leaks underneath.
- Examine how the engine starts (some smoking is normal at startup, but it shouldn’t be long-lasting or excessive)
- Assess the deck for dings, dents, rust or other damage.
- Carefully listen for engine noise or other noises, vibrations, etc. Keep in mind that these are over 25 years old, so they may not be as smooth or quiet running like a new machine.
- If possible, get in touch with the previous owner of the tractor to get a historical background of the tractor. This includes information like, “was it stored indoors for most of its life, or kept outside?” Even if kept indoors, rodents can still attack the engine compartment, etc.
With proper and regular maintenance, your John Deere 318 should continue to last. After all, there is this popular saying that states “Nothing runs like a Deere!”
What about other 300 series models?
Other models in John Deere’s 300 Series include:
- The 316, aka the “little brother” to the 318, rolled out in 1984
- The very elusive 330, JD’s diesel lawn tractor, released in 1986
- The 332, considered an improvement to the diesel lawn tractor 330, debuted in 1988
- The 322 gas-powered, liquid-cooled version of the 318 lawn tractor, launched in 1988. It is mostly confused to be diesel-powered.
One exciting thing about this tractor most people don’t know is that It was during the production of the 318 that John Deere hit the 1 million mark. This was when it manufactured its 1 millionth lawn tractor.
With the above information, you don’t only know the worth of a John Deere 318 tractor but also some basic facts that will help you when getting one for yourself.
One more thing, buy from a verified seller. Don’t just buy a 318 from any random online store. Make sure you do a little research on the seller before patronizing him or her